You are protected!
Employment protection legislation prohibits all sorts of discrimination, harassment or unfair treatment at work because of:
- Sex (including gender identity, transgender status, and sexual orientation)
- Pregnancy or parenthood
- National origin
- Age (40 or older)
- Genetic information
- Relationship to someone who may be discriminated against
Types of discrimination:
Age discrimination: Companies are not allowed to specify an age range in job advertisements. Employees must receive the same benefits regardless of age, the only exception being when the cost of providing supplemented benefits to young workers is the same as providing reduced benefits to older workers. Also, age discrimination in apprenticeship programs or internship opportunities is illegal.
Religious discrimination: It is illegal for employers to discriminate members of staff based on religious customs and beliefs. As long as it doesn’t harm the working process the employer are supposed to fairly accommodate employee’s religious needs.
Gender discrimination: if men and women have the same qualifications, responsibility, and position, employers are forbidden to discriminate on the basis of gender, when paying the salary. Also, businesses are forbidden from lowering one gender’s salary in order to equalize pay between men and women.
Pregnancy-based discrimination: First of all, it is illegal. It is also obligatory for employers to handle pregnancy as any other medical temporary condition such as illness for example.
A hostile work environment is created when harassment or discrimination interferes with an employee’s work performance or creates a difficult or offensive work environment for an employee or group of employees.
Protect your rights!
- Privacy at workplace (personal possessions, including handbags or briefcases, storage lockers accessible only by the employee, and private mail addressed only to employee);
- Right to be free from harassment and discrimination;
- Right to a safe workplace (free from dangerous conditions, potential safety hazards);
- Right to be free from termination or any type of retaliation for filing a complaint against your employer;
- Right to fair wages.
Contact our lawyers and get a free consultation about your particular case. Remember, you are protected. We will fight for you and your rights.